The ‘Carly and Kumar’ short stories have been written at three levels so that every student in a class can enjoy reading a story at the appropriate level. ‘New words’ are defined at the bottom of each page to allow for ‘effortless’ reading. An audio CD also comes with the Level 1 book, to support less confident readers (Book 1 Audio and PDF download is now free – contact us for details).
See BOOK DETAILS for more information and availability or ABOUT US for more details on the author.
These short stories can be used to introduce an extensive reading approach to encourage reading for pleasure. An extensive reading approach could include:
- 30 minutes/week sustained silent reading, each student reading at their own level, pace and a story/stories of their own choice
- reading a story aloud to students
- shadowed reading by teacher or higher level student with a lower level student
- practising and performing plays within a class or for other classes
- pairwork/group/class discussion about the illustrations and questions
- modelling how to read for meaning
- rereading stories or reading the same story at a different level
- listening before, while or after reading using the audio CD (Level 1)
- outside of class reading
Why read extensively? (easy and interesting books)
Reading for information and fun can help improve English in many ways. It can:
- Improve reading
- Build vocabulary
- Increase understanding of words that are already known
- Improve writing and spelling
- Improve speaking
- Improve general knowledge
- Increase motivation to study English
The author would love to hear from students and teachers.